Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Confessions

When I had my first child at the age of twenty three, I had no idea about all of the things to worry about when pregnant with a child.  After ten years of reading blogs and hearing stories about babies born with so many health problems and all of the things to be weary of when pregnant, my pregnancy with Heidi was so much more stressful than I ever expected it would be.  After having a miscarriage I had those fears as well as soon as we found out we were pregnant again.  I was so careful about what I ate and drank and I was so worried the whole time I was pregnant with Heidi.  Even after seeing her heartbeat at the first ultrasound, I had fears that something would happen to our baby.  I was so thankful to make it past the twelve week miscarriage milestone.  Then at twenty weeks, I was so happy to see her beautiful little profile, and I continued to hope that nothing would be wrong with her when she arrived.  I continued to worry every day and was so thankful every day that we were finally pregnant and that she was healthy.  Part of me worried every day right up until the day she was born.  Perhaps that worry had something to do with my blood pressure going up at the end of my pregnancy, who knows?!  But, I am so very thankful for our beautiful, healthy daughter.  I have always been thankful for our boys, but after being exposed to the truth that not all children are born healthy, I am so much more thankful today than I was ten years ago when we were new parents for the very first time.

No comments: